Given a choice of material when needing a dental restoration, most people will choose porcelain (a kind of ceramic) over metal-based options due to their aesthetic and possible health benefits.
The dentists at Rancho Dental in Temecula, California, offer metal-free tooth restorations and are committed to the best interest of their patients. As cosmetic dentists, our professionals work hard to ensure both the health and appearance of your smile.
Call Rancho Dental in Temecula today at 951-699-4746 to learn more about our restorations and other cosmetic dental procedures.
Are Metal-Free Dental Restorations Right for You?
Dental restorations are designed to repair or replace a damaged or missing tooth. If you are experiencing tooth pain, chances are you need some type of dental restoration.
For patients who want to maintain a natural aesthetic, metal-free restorations are the answer.
What Are My Metal-Free Restoration Options?
Depending on your needs, the following restoration types are available to treat your dental condition.
- Crowns – A crown is used to restore a tooth’s structure, function, and appearance.
- Bridges – A bridge replaces one or more missing teeth.
- Implants – A dental implant is the healthiest way to replace a missing tooth as it replaces the complete tooth from the root up to the crown.
- Onlays – An onlay fits over the tooth’s biting surface to restore the cusps, or high points, that have been damaged by decay.
- Inlays – An inlay is close to an onlay but covers only the depressions of the damaged tooth rather than including the cusps.
- Fillings – Fillings are used to repair teeth with cavities that haven’t damaged the tooth’s pulp. Crowns are necessary for teeth that require root canal therapy.
How Do Dental Restorations Work?
The way dental restorations repair and replace teeth depends on the condition it is being used to treat.
- Fillings, inlays, and onlays repair teeth that have decay. Fillings used to treat minor cavities, while inlays and onlays are needed for more extensive decay. These restorations are often made of a white composite resin, used in a semi-liquid or paste form, and allowed to dry to a strong, resilient finish. Because metal-free fillings are color matched to your teeth, they will look natural.
- Crowns work by repairing teeth that have been cracked, have severe decay, or have undergone root canal therapy (RTC). They are fabricated from an impression of your teeth to look just like the original and cover your modified tooth completely, protecting it and restoring function. Crowns can be entirely made of porcelain or porcelain fused to metal; however, many choose the all-porcelain material for its aesthetic appeal and safety.
- Bridges use two crowns on each side of a replacement tooth to restore missing teeth.
- Dental implants use a surgically implanted post to replace the missing tooth root and maintain gum stimulation. A porcelain crown is placed on top of the post to return complete function to the artificial tooth. Patients with many missing teeth may require gum grafting prior to implantation.
What Happens After Receiving Metal-Free Dental Restorations?
At Rancho Dental, we like to keep an eye on our patients after they receive metal-free dental restorations. For fillings, inlays, and onlays, you may experience some mild discomfort after the novocaine wears off due to the injection. We ask that you call us if you have any questions or concerns.
Permanent crowns or bridges typically require two appointments, and we are reachable if you have any issues or questions about your temporary crown or bridge between visits. You will be given further instructions about when and what to eat following the completion of your treatment and asked to check-in if you have persistent discomfort.
Receiving dental implants may require bone and gum grafting before the implant procedure if you have experienced any bone loss or severe gum disease. Once the implants are placed, there will be a period of time, the length of which will depend on your oral health. Finally, when the permanent crowns are placed, you will have the perfect tooth replacement. Your new tooth or teeth will function just like your natural ones and are not vulnerable to decay.
Implants can also support bridges and dentures, should you need multiple teeth replaced.
What Kind of Results Should You Expect With Non-Metal Restorations?
You can expect that the modifications made to your teeth during treatment will look far more natural than metal restorations, and your teeth will all fit comfortably together when your mouth is closed.
You should also have complete function restored and be able to eat the same food as before.
How to Care for Your New Smile
You will be advised to refrain from eating hard foods for the first 24 hours after receiving a dental restoration. After that, the main focus is keeping your smile healthy and avoiding highly-pigmented food and beverages as these stain both natural teeth and restorations.
As with your natural teeth, never use them as tools or chew on non-food items. Even chewing on ice can damage teeth.
What Do Metal-Free Dental Restorations Cost?
The cost of porcelain restorations will depend on the extent of work needed to repair or replace your teeth. Scheduling an in-depth consultation at Rancho Dental with one of our compassionate cosmetic dentists is the best way to learn about the restorations we offer for your unique condition and the cost of treatment.
Other Cosmetic Dental Services We Offer in Temecula
If you are interested in improving the look of your smile, one of the following options may be the solution you are looking for:
Frequently Asked Questions About Porcelain Restorations
How do I know if I need a porcelain restoration?
Dental pain or injury is often a dental emergency, and it’s important to see the dentist without delay to address the issue. The only way to learn which treatment you need is by making a dental appointment.
What is a crown?
A crown is a metal or ceramic cap placed over a modified tooth that has been damaged due to decay. It can also be used for cosmetic purposes to conceal a discolored, misshapen, or cracked tooth. Most patients prefer non-metal crowns as they mimic the look of natural teeth.
What type of restorations do patients typically choose?
Due to their natural appearance, longevity, and strength, a majority of patients choose non-metal, porcelain, or zirconia crowns.
What are the benefits of receiving a crown or bridge?
Replacing or repairing missing or damaged teeth keeps your smile healthy and beautiful. Leaving teeth untreated or missing can lead to more severe pain or dental dysfunction.
Are metal restorations dangerous?
While metal restorations have been used for decades, some patients prefer to remove all traces of metal from their mouths. Some metal fillings contain trace amounts of mercury, which can be harmful; however, since the amount is so small, most patients do not have anything to worry about. Often, this is more of a personal decision.
Call Rancho Dental for Your Dental Restoration Needs
If you need more information about dental restorations in Temecula, California, give Rancho Dental a call. Our team is happy to answer your questions or schedule a visit for you to discuss all your dental concerns.